South London College is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
South London College may change this policy by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 23 March 2012.
What we collect?
Our servers log the following information:
- your IP address
- the date and time you access our website
When registering with SLC we collect the following:
- your name
- contact information including email address
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- behavioural information such as links clicked and email forwards
- other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to improve our SLC products and services.
- We may periodically send promotional emails about SLC products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, or post.
- We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
Who will we share the information with?
The personally identifiable information gathered during your visit to this website will not be shared with any third party organisation for any purpose, unless otherwise stated.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
You should be aware that when you email SLC the possibility exists, however minimal, that unauthorised individuals may be able to intercept your message. We recommend as a result you should not use unsecure forms and email to send personal data, such as financial information to SLC.
You should be aware of the following:
- When we transfer and receive personal data, we redirect visitors to a web connection that uses SSL encryption (similar to that used for internet banking). We notify visitors of this connection through the use of a padlock symbol, which will appear in your address or status bar.
- Some of our forms allow our visitors to ask questions about our products or services. You should be aware that these messages are not sent over an encrypted connection and the possibility exists, however minimal, that an unauthorised individual may be able to intercept this information.
- We are not responsible for the privacy of email messages except those stored in our servers.
- We have appropriate security measures in place in our physical facilities to protect against the loss, misuse, or alteration of information that we have collected from you, while using our website.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission from your browser to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
Cookies we use:
- We use Google Analytics cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
- When you use our Course Search, there is a cookie which remembers which course you were looking at when you clicked 'Apply Online'. This then pre-selects that particular course on the application form to assist you. This cookie expires after three hours.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. You should be aware however, that if you choose to decline cookies, certain functions or features on our website may not work correctly.
To find out more about how to manage cookies through your chosen browser go to: www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/ (external website).
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to enable you to visit other websites of interest easily. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
- if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by contacting us direct, altering your preferences or by selecting the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any direct marketing emails we send to you.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Freedom of Information Act. Please note a small fee will be payable.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please contact us as soon as possible and we will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
You should be aware that when you email SLC the possibility exists, however minimal, that unauthorised individuals may be able to intercept your message. We recommend as a result you should not use email to send personal data, such as financial information to SLC.